DYNON SKYVIEW DATABASE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS
Updating your SkyView databases may require one or more different files to be downloaded and installed.
- A Navigation Database, which is updated regularly as the data expires.
- An Obstacles Database, which is updated regularly as the data expires.
- High Resolution Terrain Database for your region of the world. This database is updated rarely (once ever since SkyView's 2009 release, in Sept 2014. North America high resolution terrain is pre-loaded. Customers outside this area must load the appropriate region to replace this if needed, and is normally required only once.
- Very Low Resolution Terrain Database. Typically only needs to be loaded once on systems that were shipped prior to the availability of Very Low Resolution Terrain Database support in SkyView Version 3.0 in March 2011. Comes preloaded on all systems shipped since March 2011. This database is updated rarely (once ever since SkyView's 2009 release, in Sept 2014
- Low Resolution Terrain Database. Comes preloaded on all SkyView systems. This database is updated rarely (once ever since SkyView's 2009 release, in Sept 2014
- Base Map Database for your region of the world. This database is rarely updated. North America Base Map region is pre-loaded on units shipped with SkyView 4.0 or later on them (September 2011). Customers outside this area must load the appropriate region to replace this if needed, and is normally required only once.
As a summary, you will need to:
- Download new files to your PC.
- Transfer the files to a USB stick. Files must be in the "root" of the USB stick. In other words, they can not be in a folder or directory. Power up your SkyView.
- Insert the USB stick into a SkyView USB port.
- Use the SkyView Setup Menu to load the new files.
- Reboot SkyView.
Before You Start: SkyView databases are kept up-to-date by updating a small set of database files. This page describes these update procedures and has download links for these files for US data only. Please read this page in its entirety to ensure that you understand all of the instructions before updating your SkyView system.
- All files are loaded to your SkyView system via a USB memory stick. A suitable USB memory stick comes with your SkyView system, but any commonly-available USB memory stick with enough free space will work.
File Update Instructions:
- Updates should be performed with the system connected to an external (aircraft or bench) power source. They should not be done using the optional backup battery exclusively.
- ON YOUR PC (US Customers): Using the links shown below, download each of the new files to your PC, and then copy them to the USB memory stick. Files must be in the "root" of the USB stick. In other words, they can not be in a folder or directory.
- ON YOUR PC (Non-US Customers): You will need a subscription to either PocketFMS or Jeppesen databases for aviation data and obstacle data coverage. Note that Jeppesen customers MUST use the Jeppesen JSUM tool to transfer databases to a USB stick, or else they will not properly load on a SkyView display. Dynon US data and PocketFMS can, in contrast, be copied manually onto a USB memory stick
- IN THE AIRPLANE: Move the memory stick to any of the 3 USB ports on one of your SkyView Displays.
- SETUP MENU: All update procedures are done in SkyView’s Setup Menu. To enter the Setup Menu, hold down buttons 7 and 8 (the right two buttons) for a few seconds.
- INSTALL DATABASE FILES: Navigate to SETUP > SYSTEM SOFTWARE >LOAD FILES
- Load each of the other new files from your USB stick, one at a time. The order that you load the files to the screen does not matter.
- When finished loading all files, reboot the system by powering down the Display and re-starting.
- If you have your SkyView displays connected via Ethernet, databases will automatically sync between displays. If your displays are not connected in this method, repeat the above steps on all of the other Displays in your SkyView network.
- Confirm that aviation data and obstacles appear on the MAP page.